The Rising Sun’s History
We go back a long way. The current building, set on the corner of Western Avenue and Ongar Road, Brentwood, dates back over 100 years, the original having been demolished and rebuilt in the rear garden area to accommodate the widening of the Ongar Road in 1912.
The original ‘beer shop’ is mentioned in a murder trial report in the Essex Chronicle of 14th March 1851, where witnesses at The Rising Sun claimed to have seen the accused walk past. In May 1871, Lot 5 – a compact small property known at “Rising Sun” beer house … was let for the princely sum of £15 per annum. Records list Mr. Corder taking over the licence from Mr. Wren in 1876.
James Roberts was Landlord in 1878. he was listed as a Beer retailer/Post Officer but in the census of 1881 he had added Carpenter to his occupation. When he found time to do any carpentry whilst running a busy pub is difficult to imagine! James was the Landlord up to 1906, a job for life.
A certain Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Reed ran the pub from 1908 to 1937 – she was fined one shilling and four pence plus court costs in 1906 for allowing horses to stray in the Ongar Road! A wine licence was not granted until 1930.
At one time The Rising Sun was owned by the local Ind Coope Brewery but is now part of the Admiral Taverns Group based in Chester. From those early days, The Rising Sun has always been a traditional Ale House, which, in October 2014 was confirmed when the present Landlord, Martin White, proudly accepted the prestigious “Best Traditional Pub” category at the Essex Tourism and Hospitality Awards evening. We also received a Commendation in Brentwood in Bloom.